Tuesday, July 15, 2008

hot messes

And we're back in Antigua. It's nice to be in a city that we both know and where with only a small hunt, good food can be found.

Michael was able to get two different kinds of pain killers over the counter (oh, you want a big box of codeine? here you go!) and seems to be doing much better. Some pain here and there, obviously, but he's moving around well.

My traveler's illness did not go away on it's own like I hoped. In fact, yesterday I woke up with sulfur burps and an even worse stomach ache - as it had been four days of not eating a full meal, I finally decided to do something about it. With the help of the internet and a local pharmacy (where the pharmacists are like mini doctors), I got myself some medication for Giardia. Apparently, not being more careful with my water or food or whatever (as it appears to be the easiest thing in the world to get) caused a little parasite to live in my belly and lord knows I don't want to be a host to anything. The medication really seems to be doing the trick though and I should (knock on wood) be good as new in about three days.

The ride to Antigua yesterday was painful for us both - we took a tourist van, opting for comfort and speed, but the bumps in the road and the many pit stops the driver took to buy himself a coke were almost unbearable. As a treat, Michael got us a nice hotel here with a super comfortable bed and HOT SHOWER!! I wouldn't doubt if both of those things have helped the healing process significantly.

We only have a few days until Michael flies out, and while we're going to continue to base ourselves in Antigua, there's plans of day trips perhaps to a local hot water springs and maybe even a coffee plantation. However, even if we just hang around this cute town, I'll be happy.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Beauty -

I hope you feel better soon. Be sure to get rid of whatever 'parasite' may have climbed aboard.

Any Hot Spring Pool would intetrest me....because of the layout and 'looks'. The Coffee Plantation I could take it or leave it.....prefer leaving it. A bunch of trees...and a short tour through the plant. Anyway - to each his own. I sure hope you both feel better.

Love
GURay

Lorelei said...

Thanks GURay :) I think I agree with you on the coffee trees...there were enough groves in San Pedro for me to get the idea. Might be time to go to the jungle instead!

Hope you and GAMarian are doing well :) Love you!