Thursday, July 3, 2008

everything's good in central america

So! I have a feeling this will be long, as I have to cover quite a few days...I'll try not to get bogged down in details.

Sunday: The day of Camionetas (chicken buses). Bus #1 was very easy to find (thanks Antigua!), but because they never grabbed my giant backpack from me, I was squished. Sitting next to me was a talkative (and quick speaking) older man, who kept me entertained and exhausted (as my brain doesn't move that fast in Spanish) the whole first leg of the trip. He kept asking if he could join me in Monterrico, though that was not his original plan, but I kept telling him I traveled alone. Even though I had turned him down, he still walked me across town to find the connecting bus (which in retrospect, I would have had a hell of a time finding on my own).

Not long after I sat on Bus #2, super creepy guy came and squished me into my seat (there was already a mamacita sitting windowside). I didn't like it, but I felt rude saying anything...until he put his hand on my thigh. The "NO" I firmly stated shamed him like a puppy digging through trash and even though he made himself small and was looking down, one of the guys running the bus came over and made him move. I certainly didn't want to be touched by some creepo on a bus, but it felt so good to know that the other people there were looking out for me. The mamacita and I ended up chatting and laughing a bit because of it.

Bus #3 was easy as pie. By then, I was practiced with paying/seating/etc. There was also less people on the bus, so I could finally just stare out the window. Most beautiful countryside here.

The last leg of the trip was a boat ride through a beautiful marsh - there's only one expensive bridge into Monterrico and you have to go the longer way to take it.


First taste of paradise.


It didn't take long to land in Monterrico, and I made a beeline for the hotel. The temperature had seemed to increase by 10 degrees each leg of the trip from Antigua, and it was humid and hot in that little town. Monterrico is a very small town, with not a whole lot going for it, but the beach is beautiful (though you can't really swim without taking a pounding) and the places along the beach are nice. A lot more animals here as well: I found myself walking alongside pigs and chickens often.

I reached the super cheapo dorms and showered first.


Our funky dorms - yes, the mosquito nets were necessary!


The other dorm members seemed nice, but I needed to get cleaned up and grab a beer at the bar/restaurant (it was very possible to have everything you needed at this one place and not leave). I had only been reading at the bar for a little bit when this Guatemalan girl about the same age as me started chatting. She ended up sitting at my table, talking about literature and politics for awhile, and then introducing me to her brother and friend when they came and joined us an hour later. An hour after that, I was headed back with them to their incredibly impressive vacation home, complete with a hammock area and a large pool. We stayed up all night, talking, playing drinking games, taking late night swims, and chasing frogs. It turns out I had only paid Johnny's Place (the hotel) for keeping my stuff there that night, but it was well worth it.

Monday: The Wendy, Javier, and Bryan all drove me back to Johnny's Place so I could immediately pass out in the dorm. It turned out to be that afternoon naps were the theme of this place: palm trees, black sand, warm winds, a warm pool, hammocks...everyone just hung out outside, listening to music, dancing when it felt right. The best sight was Bo, the sixty-year old tanned hippie who wore his loin cloth the entire time and laughed hysterically. I knew right away that I would not be going to Xela and that just getting up to Pana was going to be hard. Even right now, it's nice to be back in beautiful Antigua, but I already miss that warm beach.


Right outside my bedroom door.


Someone had brought their laptop, so we watched South Park and The Interpreter. Both the Guatemalans I hung out with the first night and the people in the dorm all wanted to speak English, so I'm getting a little out of practice.

Tuesday: More of the same. I found the internet place and used it briefly. I ate fantastic pizza for lunch and the worst burger known to man for dinner. I watched more South Park and Perfume.


Don't I look relaxed?


Wednesday: I finished 'Wicked'. 400 pages, baby! I might be tempted to start calling myself a reader. We all had a lazy morning, and finally packed up to head back to Antigua. The ride back was fantastic. It was totally okay for me to just stare out the window at all the greenery, looking up to see volcanoes in the distance. The girl who offered the ride, Marlene, also offered me a place to stay at her house. I went into town before they did, ran some errands, and we all met up at the Rainbow Cafe for a delicious dinner and open mike night. I was impressed with many of the people that got up there...so much so that I started considering picking up guitar again. Wouldn't that be a trip?

We all (me, Marlene, Ollie (who rode up with us), Patrick and Oliver (who we met in Monterrico but only ran into at the Rainbow Cafe) headed back to the house just to hang out and chat. It was surreal to be spending time like this with people I didn't know, making myself comfortable in a strangers house. I hope I can still meet people this easily when I come back to the states.

Thursday: I was up before anyone else today, so I left a goodbye note and came into town to change money, find a hotel for Michael and I, and use the internet. It's nice to be back here, and I can understand why so many people (Guatemalans and travelers alike) use Antigua as a home base - beautiful and comfortable. I'm about to go off to meet Michael - hopefully my next post will come sooner and wont be as long, but know that I'm having a fantastic time and miss you all!

4 comments:

tmtpep said...

Wow....your writing is beautiful. Feel as tho I am alongside you.

ENJOY!!!

GURay XOXO

Lorelei said...

Thanks GU Ray :) Glad you all are able to come along for the ride!

Unknown said...

I am there with you not only in thought and spirit, my lovely daughter but by your written word, in body as well. Just like Uncle Ray said it is like experiencing it right alongside you. Thanks for the call. It was AWESOME to get to talk to you and hear your voice. My heart is spilling over with joy for you as well as love! Always, Mom

Lorelei said...

Aw, I love you Mom! It was so nice to talk to you! Have an excellent long weekend. :)