Thursday, June 26, 2008

mish mosh

I've been at school for only three days, and already I have a routine. I feel as if I've lived in Antigua for many years, studying and running my errands in the morning and attending classes in the afternoon. I wonder if my American life existed. I will be sad for ending my growth in Spanish when I have my last classes tomorrow, but I'm looking forward to moving on.

**

I finally figured out how to get hot water from the shower yesterday. Three days of ice cold showers are three days too many - though I suppose it is preparing me for more remote areas. I would just hope that when I put myself at risk with a contraption like this, with all these wires, that I would be rewarded with blistering hot water:


Don't go splashing that water!


**

I finished 'Cat's Cradle'. Not to sound like every damn person who waited until he died to pick up one of his books, but I'm in mad mad love with Kurt Vonnegut.

I am now out of fiction books, so today is a trip to the bookstore.

**

I was sitting in the park reading/people watching yesterday when I saw this traditionally dressed woman(I'm not sure what's the proper thing to call these women - Guatemalan, Mayan...) come by with two children - one 7-or-so-year-old boy and one 1-year-old daughter who was just barely toddling along. As they walked through the park, I never once saw the woman look back behind her...she just kept walking forward, keeping up the same pace, the boy at her side, and the baby girl trailing behind and occasionally even stopping to play with a flower or something. It wasn't until she reached the edge of the park that she turned to her boy and said something, at which point the boy went back and grabbed his sisters hand.

In the days of leashing children and using cell phones as location devices, it was odd to see such a young child left to do her own thing - but then, I wonder if it was even a possibility to snatch such a kid or if a protective swarm of other mothers would have emerged from the sidelines.

**

Last night I taught Kanako, a native Japanese girl who has a second language of rough English and is now trying to learn Spanish, how to play chess. I tried, with the help of a dictionary, to only use Spanish words to teach her. It was probably the most fun I've ever had playing the game - a completely new experience.

6 comments:

Diva said...

Wow, this is great Lorelei! So enjoyable to read these posts. Sounds like a wonderfully enriching experience/adventure so far.
REALLY takes me back to my first big trip away, at 19 years old, for four months in Europe by myself. I had a panic attack on the airplane wondering what the hell kind of stupid idea was this?! But things worked out, as they usually do, and much fun, new friends and interesting times were ahead.
Nice to be able to keep in touch electronically this way...my trip was back in the '80s where I had to rely on letters sent to various American Express offices and occasional phone calls for news from home.
You go girl!!

Lorelei said...

Thanks Diva :)
I had no idea you went on a big trip like that...I´m glad it worked out and that you had a good time - I´ll have to get some more stories out of you later.
And yah, I don´t know what I´d do without the internet!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the phone call this morning. Sorry I missed you. It was a rather garbled message though and I almost deleted it until I replayed it, listening closer and did make out it was you from the internet, then garble, garble and I love you Mom. Very cool though! That shower is scarier than the one in PSYCHO!! Be careful!! So glad you have become so comfortable already with your daily life. Teaching chess to a Japanese girl in Spanish? You are so amazing! Love you tons!! MOM

Lorelei said...

Sorry about the message, mama...I just tried you again (I'm guessing you're at the gym) on hopefully a better computer.

Hope you have a great weekend and I'll catch you soon!

Unknown said...

Sorry I missed your call this morning honey. I was at the gym yesterday when you called but today I was in the shower. The reception was EXCELLANT and you came through loud and clear! Hope you have a super weekend and I am anxious to hear what you do next, now that school will be over. I have chair massages to give both at the County offices and the Enterprise Newspaper office (5 hrs total) today. Dinner with Nicole at "V" tonight and tomorrow Jim and I leave for Berkeley for a concert at the Greek Theater (Mark Knopfler). We are staying Sunday too (at Jeannine and Jonathan's house in the CITY both nights-Sunset District) and will probably ride our bikes around and maybe try to take in a Stearn Grove concert too! Heading back home later on Monday. Love you SO big! MOM

Lorelei said...

Hey Mom, sounds like you´re going to have a great weekend! Definitely try for Stern Grove, such a nice venue for an outdoor concert.