Friday, June 27, 2008

it's all about the little things

While I was studying in a cafe yesterday morning, a woman placed a bunch of her handmade goods next to me to sell and set herself up to weave more. I'd never seen anything like it.


Certainly takes clothes making to a whole new level.


**

Though my teacher did give me a bunch of new words yesterday (reflexive verbs...wooo), we spent at least half of the class just sitting there talking to each other. The conversation was totally helpful (as she'd stop and correct me if I said something wrong) and a much more fun way to learn.

**

I sold my finished fiction (it was hard for me to part with both Capote and Vonnegut, but I just can't carry them around for the whole trip - I'll have to buy new copies after I get back) and bought 'Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil' and 'Wicked'. Started 'Wicked' last night and looove it...really difficult to put down.

**

I was able to talk to Michael yesterday, via Skype (best computer program ever). We finally made some plans for when he comes down here and that made it possible for me to plan my next week. Today is my last day of classes, tonight I go out with the girls (reggatone at La Sin Ventura!), tomorrow eaaaarly I go trek up a live volcano, and Sunday I leave for a town on the Pacific Coast called Monterrico. I'm not quite sure how that town will be, as I've heard it can be kind of boring during the week, but I'm craving a green coconut like you wouldn't believe. Also, I read that this time of year the baby turtles hatch and do their run to the ocean...that would be so awesome to see.

If Monterrico is too boring or expensive (as I could only find one place in the guide book there that's in my budget), I'm going to move on to Xela. It's another big city, somewhat like Antigua but less white people. I have no real burning desire to go there, but it might be a nice time. Next Friday, Michael will be down here and we'll go to Lake Aitilan (sp?), a beautiful lake surrounded by two volcanoes with a lot of fun lakeside towns, and then up to Nebaj, a tiny village in the mountains. Should be a good couple weeks here.

**

After dinner last night, Cesar pulled out his guitar and played and sang some songs. There were a few Guatemalan songs (in which he taught us enough to sing the chorus along with him) and he ended by playing The Beatles 'Yesterday'. I had the biggest damn grin across my face and couldn't believe the luck I had in being placed in that house.

**

Kanako and I ended the night by sitting and talking on the patio for a good hour and a half - all in Spanish. We talked about everything under the sun, laughed like crazy, and invited each other to our respective countries to visit. I never thought that the first person I would connect so well with in Central America would be a Japanese girl. We only stopped talking and went to bed because Carmen (Cesar's wife) knocked on the window.

**

I couldn't be happier with life than I am right now.

2 comments:

Aunt Christine said...

Hi Lorelei!
I tried leaving you a message yesterday, but my password wasn't working. I want to remind you that a shy girl could never do what you're doing now! I can tell by your blogs that you are having the experience of a lifetime!How I wish I had the cajones when I was younger to go off on my own. Your pics are awesome, and I'm thoroughly enjoying your travel stories. Uncle Mark, Josh, and I all send our love. Hope you can feel the hugs we're sending! Be safe and enjoy, especially since your classes are coming to an end and You'll have more time to venture. All my love, AC

Lorelei said...

Thanks for all the love and support, Aunt Christine! :) Hope all is well with you guys there.