Saturday, June 21, 2008

can you see what i see?

So first off, you saw the company's picture of the backpack, but you didn't see me in it:


Don't I make the cutest turtle?


Michael had a hard time keeping from laughing as he was taking the picture. I haven't (and probably wont) actually worn my backpack that way...I either zip the day pack onto the bigger one (which gives me an even bigger shell), carry the day pack around in my hand, or my favorite, leave the big one behind at the hostel.

Speaking of the hostel, I'm staying at a place called the Yellow House. The guide book only talks about the hotel rooms, but it does have one dorm with six fairly comfortable beds.


It does look a lot nicer when the beds are all made.


It was interesting sharing a room with five other 20-something year olds, all from different countries - I only wish that I'd been more energetic yesterday to meet them all (I went to bed at 6pm last night!). I'm staying here again tonight and just found out that there's a nice porch/deck/rooftop to hang out on, so hopefully I'll be a bit more social.


It's hard to explore the rest of the city when you're staying here.


In case anyone was wondering about the included breakfast, I was pleased - nothing crazy, but oatmeal sweetened with bananas with giant chunks of coconut(!!) and tons of fresh fruit. Tasty and healthy...you all aren't going to know what to do with 'thin Lorelei' when I come back. :p

After breakfast today, I decided to explore Antigua a bit and try to find the Spanish school I'd be attending...unfortunately, the guide book apparently printed the wrong address, so I went up and down the same street for some time looking for it without success. I did run into a bunch of Guatemalan women selling their wares though, so that was cool:


I'm going to have to load up before I come home.


After a great deal of walking and a visit to the Saturday market (which might as well have been any flea market in California - although, the women with giant baskets of strawberries on their head carrying their own scales was a sight), I came back to the hotel to look up the school online and find the right address.

I'm really excited to start school on Monday...when I went, there were a few people in the courtyard practicing and everyone seems really friendly there. I was given my family homestay information (where I'll start staying tomorrow!) and paid for my week of classes.

After that was a lot more exploring and hanging out in Parque Central. Practiced my Spanish with someone who was practicing their English and enjoyed the nice hot sun (supposed to have more thunderstorms this afternoon).


There's a bunch of parks here, but this one is by far the best.


Nice fountain, eh? Innocent looking...


But wait! That chick is totally cupping her breasts!


I think I'm going to spend the rest of the afternoon reading 'In Cold Blood' on the roof and then go out on the town tonight. Now that I'm starting to get a feel for this place, I'm getting overwhelmed again...I can do anything! I could go to a ton of cities all over Guatemala, I could just explore Antigua and the small cities around here (there are hot springs near by!), I could volunteer somewhere to save the rainforests or help the people or work on an avocado farm...this trip could be anything I want it to be and I'm not sure what it is I want yet - at least this week is set.

3 comments:

Tony said...

Nice photos. It makes me think I should paint the walls of MY bedroom bright sky blue.

Lorelei said...

A different color for every wall! Think of what a fiesta your apartment would be!

Unknown said...

that park makes me think of all the ones in savannah GA. beautiful.